The resources section will always be a work in progress!
If you would like to submit new resources or corrections to the resources listed email Info@flaf.team.
The information and links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Full Life Ahead Foundation of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation, organization or individual. The Full Life Ahead Foundation bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.
- Clements Baptist Church Athens Our Special Needs Ministry offers both children and adult Sunday School classes, as well as Extended Care sessions during Worship Services. Clements Baptist Church also hosts Respite Nights on the 2ndFriday night of each month here on campus from 6-9 pm. Respite care provides dinner and a fun evening of games and fellowship for persons with special needs and their siblings. This ministry provides parents and caregivers an opportunity for a brief period of rest. For more information about The Special Needs Ministry please contact the church office at 256-729-1328. www.clementsbaptist.org/special-needs/
- Lindsay Lane Baptist Church in Athens, AL – Autism Support to help parents have hope through God’s love, education and advocacy. To raise awareness and acceptance for those with autism in the church and community. To give hope, encouragement, support and love to families affected by autism. Contact Todd Tomerlin – email@example.com
Birmingham/Jefferson County Respite Programs
- Aaron’s Staff 261-9914, 261-9915 358-8403. Mailing address: 2698 Highway 58 Helena, Alabama 35080. Free Respite Care provided at the Linda Nolen Learning Center in Pelham, Alabama on the 3rd Sat of every month from 5:00 – 9:00pm, including summer months. aaronsstaffrespite.org
- Alabama Head Injury Foundation AHIF provides respite care to caregivers, giving them, at no cost, a brief break from the demands of 24/7 care of a loved one. For more information about respite care, please call Janice Waters. 3100 Lorna Road Hoover, AL 35216 (205) 823-3818 ahif.org/services.html
- Alabama Lifespan Respite Resource Network™ (Alabama Respite™) is a statewide program whose mission is “to increase access to and availability of high quality respite resources for all caregivers in Alabama.” Respite is temporary relief for family caregivers who are caring for individuals of any age who have disabilities, chronic or terminal illnesses. alabamarespite.org 256-237-3683 firstname.lastname@example.org This e-mail address is being protected from spambots.
- Caregiver Action Network (CAN) is the nation’s leading family caregiver organization working to improve the quality of life for the more than 90 million Americans who care for loved ones with chronic conditions, disabilities, disease, or the frailties of old age. CAN serves a broad spectrum of family caregivers ranging from the parents of children with special needs, to the families and friends of wounded soldiers; from a young couple dealing with a diagnosis of MS, to adult children caring for parents with Alzheimer’s disease. CAN (the National Family Caregivers Association) is a non-profit organization providing education, peer support, and resources to family caregivers across the country free of charge. http://www.caregiveraction.org Caregiver Action Network 1150 Connecticut Ave, NW Suite 501 Washington, DC 20036-3904 Phone: (202) 454-3970 E-mail: email@example.com
- Collat Jewish Family Services (CJFS) – CJFS Cares – CJFS enhances quality of life and strengthens independence for individuals and families, with a primary focus on older adults, by providing exceptional support services in accordance with Jewish values. Collat Jewish Family Services (CJFS) 3940 Montclair Road, Suite 205 Birmingham, Alabama 35213 Phone: 205-879-3438 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Documents on Finding and Hiring Respite Providers: alabamarespite.org/index.php/find-respite/finding-hiring-respite-providers
- Information for Caregivers – WEBPAGE: www.familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/prevention-wellness/emotional-wellbeing/caregiving/information-for-caregivers.printerview.all.html
- Giving Hands, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to finding the cause of and creating a solution for children with congenital limb differences. Their hope is to educate and inspire with facts and fun tales. Raises awareness of, educates the public about and raises money to conduct and support research for children born with limb differences. givinghandsandhope.org Giving Hands, Inc. 3679 Cahaba Beach Road Birmingham, AL 35242 PHONE: (205) 937-7463 FAX: (205)980-5098
- HEARTS Voucher Respite Programs offer voucher respite for Caregivers of Children who have disabilities birth – 19 years old. Contact the UCP affiliate in your area. http://www.alabamarespite.org/index.php/apply-for-respite
- Highlands Haven Program (Church of the Highlands) exists to share the love of Christ by assisting individuals needing special accommodations and their families to become full participants and contributors in the body of Christ. We are committed to providing a safe and comfortable environment that allows all members access to worship, ministry and fellowship with one another. churchofthehighlands.com/ministries/haven Contact Susan Pannell: email@example.com
- Montgomery Children’s Specialty Center Montgomery’s preferred children’s nursing and rehabilitation facility. In their caring and nurturing environment, they provide services to children with severe developmental disabilities that require on-going nursing care. montgomerychildrenscare.com 2853 Forbes Drive Montgomery, AL 36110 (334) 261-3445
- Next Step in Care: Guides for All Caregivers Next Step in Care provides easy-to-use guides to help family caregivers and health care providers work closely together to plan and implement safe and smooth transitions for chronically or seriously ill patients. nextstepincare.org
- The Respite Care “Kid’s Night Out” Ministry of St. Mark United Methodist Church is a community outreach for families of children with disabilities. This Saint Mark ministry provides trained care for children with disabilities as well as their siblings to allow their parents an often much needed evening out. Reservations are required and registration starts on the 15th of the month prior to respite night. All reservations should be made no later than the day before respite care. For more information about this ministry, to volunteer for training, or to make reservations, please contact the church office at 205-822-5980. saintmarkumc.org/spiritual-gifts-service/respite-care/?view=mobile
- Special Connections is a ministry to people of all abilities. Our desire is to see society and the Body of Christ show equal concern for people with disabilities and their families as is shown for others. Therefore, our focus is ministering, in word and deed, both to and alongside people touched by disability. We seek to enable people with disabilities and their families to hear the gospel of God’s grace, fully participate in the Body of Christ, and fully contribute in their churches and communities. briarwood.org/ministries/special-connections/ Briarwood Presbyterian Church Birmingham, AL 205-776-5291
- Times Times Out, Inc. is a not-for-profit social service organization that provides support services for persons 15 and older who have intellectual disabilities, mental illness, or pervasive developmental disabilities. The organization will provide companion services that will enable the person to participate in social and recreational activities within their local community such as eating out, going to movies, attending and participating in sporting events, etc. timesout.org (205) 243-3951
- UAB’s Civitan AmeriCorps Program CIRC 252D 1720 2nd Avenue South Birmingham, AL 35294 Phone: 205-934-8900 Toll free: 1-800-UAB-CIRC
Huntsville/Madison County Respite Programs
- Asbury United Methodist Church Madison – SonShine Friendsprovides a loving, Christ-centered environment for kids with learning exceptionalities so that their parents may attend a 10:45 worship service. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Asbury Students provides an opportunity to serve students in grades 7-12 who learn best through tailored learning experiences. Register on website. Devoted to Jesus (D2J) is a Sunday school class that provides a loving and nurturing environment for adults with special needs starting at age 18. please send an email to email@example.com. weareasbury.com/specialneeds/ 8089 Wall Triana Hwy Harvest, AL 35749 256-325-1550 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faith Presbyterian Church Respite Care – Huntsville Contact for more details: (256) 881-4811 Fax us at (256) 880-9355 email@example.com
- First Baptist Church 225 Hunt Drive, Hazel Green – Respite Care provided for kids with special needs so parents can have a night out. on 4th Fridays 256-828-4479 firstname.lastname@example.org
- First United Methodist Church Huntsville – Stephen Ministry is a caring ministry where specially trained congregation members, provide one-on-one, confidential Christian care to those experiencing a life challenge or crisis. email@example.com 256-539-5738
- Weatherly Heights Baptist Church Huntsville On the first Friday of every month from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. a team of volunteers provides care for children with special needs and their siblings. We welcome siblings so parents do not have to find another childcare provider. 256-881-6882 weatherly.org